Thursday, December 17, 2009

Helping create my big behind...

These are probably two of my favorite Christmas treats to make and eat. We have a rule that these recipes may only be used in December. It's a safety thing - you know for bathing suit season and all!

This is the only recipe I've ever used for English Toffee. It's from the Lion House Christmas Cookbook. But, I am sure these recipes are all similar:
Grease a jelly roll cookie pan before getting started
Boil on highest heat:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
5 teaspoons water
Stir constantly until golden brown (this is the hardest, most nerve-racking part to get the color just right - My sister says to compare it to a brown paper sack, but I think I do mine a little lighter)
Remove from heat and add
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pour into jelly roll and spread to desired thickness (I use pretty much all of the pan)
Sprinkle "good" chocolate chips over top (I use Ghiradelli-most of the bag). Spread around to melt.
If you live somewhere cold, you're in luck! Set this outside or in the garage to cool off. You get to eat yours sooner! If it's not freezing - I have been desparate and once it was cool enough, threw the pan in the freezer.
Then just break it into pieces and enjoy...and enjoy!
I don't know what the other ones are called, but they are so yummy!
You have to find the Snyder's butter snap pretzels.
Fill a cookie sheet with them.
If you have kids, make them unwrap a bag of Hershey kisses or Rolos (or both, like we did yesterday!)
Top each pretzel with a chocolate (I do one kind of chocolate at a time since they will probably melt at different times)
Bake at 300 for I don't know how long. 3 minutes? 5 minutes? Just check it out after 3 and go from there! They need to be soft, but not too soft that they are melty.
Take from oven and press an m&m into the middle of each chocolate (or a nut on the Rolos if you like). Cool the same as the English Toffee.
I am warning you - these are dangerous treats to have in your house! Unless you actually have self-control around the holidays. If you do, I don't want to know about it!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I got on the scale this morn and it was SCARY!!!!!! I'm off sugar today:) Unless I have to taste test something.

Lauren said...

Thanks Cami for posting these. I've been trying to find an easy toffee recipe since its my favorite. These will be made! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

First off who keeps leaving comments that you have to take off?!? I think I've seen it a few times now, weird!
I love your toffee and now thanks to you and this post need to make it. I guess I will be joining the getting bigger behind club. Only I'm not pregnant.

Lydia Moon said...

These treats look and sound great! I think I will try the toffee recipe too. Tobin might kill me, though. His self control goes out the door when I keep yummy treats around. BTW, I'm with Summer in the "bigger behind but not pregnant" club. lol. I guess we'll all have to trade work-out secrets in January. :)