Tuesday, June 10, 2008

HOT burner+glass pan=

OOPS! Sunday was kind of a hectic day. So, I got rolls going in the morning, Brandon helped peel and cut potatoes during church (different sick story), and I finished them up, plus ham later. We just needed a veggie. So, while the ham was finishing up in the oven, I set the pans of potatoes and rolls on the stove and started the green beans. All the boys were outside, so I decided to sit with them while dinner was finishing up. A few minutes late we heard a loud bang from inside. I was afraid that Spencer had gone in (he was in the backyard) and pulled something down. It took a few seconds to register what had happened...I turned the wrong burner on. Of course it was on high and the pan of rolls was sitting on it. The glass pan exploded into thousand of tiny pieces. There was not a piece of glass bigger than a marble. It was scattered throughout my whole kitchen - floor, counter, sink, everywhere. Even some on the carpet. I was so glad that nobody was in the house when it happened. Meanwhile, the rolls sat right on the burner with no glass between and caught fire. I called Brandon in and grabbed Clay from him. I sat back telling him what to do (which he didn't do any of). I handed him a picture of water, which he didn't use. He sat there fanning it with a towel. Really. He fanned the dry flames with a towel. That wasn't working. I told him to get the rolls off the stove, pour the water on, something. So, he grabbed the rolls with a towel and threw them to the ground, still on fire! Now, we have a kitchen that looks like this...(This is after I swept most of the glass together)
There is two big burns (now cleverly covered by a too-small rug), plus a lot of small ones that were made by hot, shattered glass in the explosion.
It took me a good 30 minutes to sweep and swiffer. Then Brandon another 30 minutes to clean every little corner of the counter. Then me another 30 to swiffer again and wipe down the whole floor. Dinner, of course, was ruined. Except for the ham - it was safely in the oven. Everything else had glass in it (or was on fire!)

6 comments:

Mark & Brigette said...

OH - CAMI!

Janice said...

Cami! Oh My Goodness! So glad you were all outside!!

Lauren said...

That is crazy, Cami! How lucky that no one got hurt. That sucks big time though. So Sorry! You have the cutest boys. If you ever want to come vist, Southwest has cheap tickets!! :)

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! I'll feel so bad for you and your kitchen!

Ali said...

I am so glad no one was hurt!

Logan and Ashley said...

Holy cow! How scary. I am so glad no one was in the house either. Hey look on the bright side, now you can learn how to tile and then come help me tile my laundry room!! :0)