Friday, June 6, 2008

They grow up so fast

I guess I can't complain too much about how fast my kids grow up. Our baby birdies were come and gone within two weeks. Maybe I am silly, but that mama bird was an example to me. The day before Mother's Day I realized that she would not move from her nest. We went out to check stuff out and she would sit so still, and no matter how close we got, she was not budging. (We tried not to totally scare her and be big meanies) Before, if we got too close, she would fly to the fence and wait for us to leave. So, I figured those eggs must have been gettting close to hatching. On Mother's Day we got our first look at the little babies. They were amazing. Notice how cute they all lay together, one neck over and tucked under the one beneath it. So sweet. We had almost two weeks of these babies in our backyard. I could look from my bedroom window and see if the mom was in the nest or not. If I noticed that she was gone, I would grab my camera and run out. Well, I wouldn't even get close to the nest and there she would be with another bird (dad?) squacking like crazy and flying right over my head. The would swoop down and I would be very scared. So, I for sure wasn't crazy enough to climb up and snap a shot in those circumstances. I am glad they were so loving and protective of their babies. The other bird would normally be on the top of the house sort of on lookout while the mom went for worms. I was especially worried about them through the tornado, but they were fine. I was really hoping to be around when the babies left, but we missed it. One day our nest was empty. Maybe they will return to reuse the nest?

One Day Old... Two Days Old...Six Days Old...
Seven Days Old...

Eight Days Old...

Twelve Days Old...

4 comments:

Lopez Life said...

That is soooo awesome that you got to experience that!!

Sarah said...

Great pictures! I am sure your boys loved looking at the birds. What a learning experience.

The Henricksen Journal said...

That is great. What did the boys think? You are such a good mom. I never get all gooey like you. I need to take some lessons. Do you give online courses? :)

Brigette said...

I love this post! I have been looking forward to these pictures ever since you blogged about the nest being built! It is incredible how fast they did grow - an experience the kid-dos will all remember and a respect they will have for life - you're a great mom, Cami!