Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Name Game

For the most part, I really love and enjoy being pregnant. Although nights are rough from the start. My circulation is horrible, so I have to roll over numerous times. Anyone else's ears fall asleep? It hurts.
Anyway, this post isn't really about that. One thing that is fun about being pregnant is thinking about and finding names. At Sunday dinner this week my parents, siblings and I had a long conversation about names. So many opinions, which I welcome. But, in the end, we like different things. And that's okay. I announced that I like to share the names in my head for other's thoughts and reactions (although I really only take my mom and sisters seriously). But, when I get serious about a name, everyone can keep their thoughts to themselves. I don't need to know what it rhymes with or reminds everyone of. I know not everyone will like my choice, but that's why it's my choice. And, I won't like everyone else's name choices either.
Naming a child is stressful. I think so hard about it (I overthink a lot of things). I always check the social securtiy website to be sure it is not too popular of a name. Plus, I have a husband who makes a funny face at most names I propose, but doesn't ever come up with any on his own. I suppose it's a good thing we have many months to make a final decision.
Surely I'm not the only one who struggles with this fun task of naming a child?

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh yes, we struggle. I like my names, and Joseph likes his. His are TERRIBLE. haha. Thank goodness this baby is a girl, cause couldn't agree on a boys name at all. I'm sure you'll find something. You have good ideas. :)

Lopez Life said...

Cade didn't have a name until I was 9 months pregnant. We thought we had one, but I felt uneasy about it and didn't really like it. One day at Wendy's I took the girls to the bathroom and came back and Chris said, how about Cade? I knew right then and there that was the name that we would choose. Good Luck! :)

Lydia Moon said...

Maryam's name was pretty easy for us because she is named after two of her great grandmothers and two great aunts. But Peyton's name was really hard for us to choose. I wanted it to have some family significance, but we couln't come up with anything that felt right. Finally, we just went with a name we liked. I kind of feel bad that he is not named after anyone in particular (though his middle name is significant).

Ana Margarida G. V. da Cruz said...

For anyone winning, you name in Portuguese ... would be fun, at least someone trying to say ... eheheh you know what will be? boy or girl? I make my first eco October 27, I hope will be a girl, if you will be called Emma! I hope you will also have a girl! Beijinhos :-)

Julie said...

We have had a hard time too, especially the more children of the same gender you have! We'd already used the names we liked best. (I'm sure you can relate!) Eventually, one feels right and you go with it. Good luck and have fun finding a good one!
PS I checked the social security website, too!

SUMMER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SUMMER said...

Agreeing on names is the WORST! I think I could have had some SUPER great names for my girls if Bryan would have agreed on them. It got harder and harder with each one. And now I regret naming #3 August. I do this though where I have remorse for a little while after having my babies. I love your names and know you will pick a cute one. And you know what... all names really are cute once you see the kid with that particular name. SO when do we find out what your having?