Monday, November 23, 2009

Everyone needs a Grandpa Jerry

My Grandpa Jerry (my mom's dad) is amazing for many reasons. For one, he has started very meaningful family traditions that have continued for decades. I have countless memories throughout the years thanks to his and my grandma's efforts. A few of those traditions are holiday ones. Grandpa Jerry has a garage full of wood, saws and all sorts of woodworking tools. One year, a few years before I got married, he started making wooden Christmas statues for all his children and the grandchildren who were married (it was only one at that time). This tradition evolved into nutcrackers. He tried to keep the nutcracker a secret throughout the year, and we were always excited to see what it would be. The last few years were my favorite - it combined our tradition and love of "Scrooge" with the nutcracker tradition. Nothing could be more "Grandpa Jerry" than a Scrooge nutcracker! A couple of years ago Grandpa had a rough year physically. No nutcrackers that year. Or since. It was sad. I think the project has just gotten too big (with so many married grandchildren and Grandpa getting older). I am so grateful to have so many beautiful handmade nutcrackers from my Grandpa. I will treasure them always. And, my children don't even need to be taught - they have had an instant obsession with them.
Enjoy a few pictures of some of the things that make my house so "Christmasy" and full of tradition...
The boys with all the nutcrackers (including the ones they painted this year)...

The only one I have that isn't a nutcracker...


Ebenezer Scrooge...
Jacob Marley...Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim...

God Bless Us, Everyone!

3 comments:

Brigette said...

Cami -- I remember the night we got to talking after a haircut - about your Grandpa Jerry! I was so touched by this sweet tradition that he came up with to build a new nutcracker each year - what an amazingly thoughtful man - you're right EVERYONE needs a Grandpa Jerry!

Kim said...

I don't have a Scrooge one...GRRRR! Can't wait for Scrooge and See's this year. We are so lucky!!!

Janice said...

Awww cami, your making me tear up. We are so lucky to have a grandpa jerry. I just pulled my nutcrackers out tonight. I love the snowman too and dont have that one! we are looking forward to our scrooge and im sure you guys are looking forward to yours too. :)