Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

When I was growing up, St. Patrick's Day was a day to wear green so you didn't get pinched. Or to catch a friend or family member who wasn't wearing green and pinch them.
Apparently things have changed since then. My kids barely said a word about wearing green. In fact, Spencer didn't have anything green on until the afternoon when I mentioned he should change before school. Instead, it is all about the leprechaun! At school, the leprechaun destroys classrooms while everyone is at recess. In some people's homes he turns things green. In ours (thanks to a preschool teacher a few years ago), he leaves a trail of gold throughout the house, ending at a basket of candy in gold wrappers.
I helped in Koby's class yesterday and he was loaded up on treats. Everyone in the class brought one green treat to share with the rest of the kids. Most brought something small like a gummy bear (what Koby brought). But, one girl brought donuts. There were also suckers and laffy taffy. They ate lucky charms cereal as part of a project. And, at the end of the day had popsicles outside!
What happened to wearing green so you don't get pinched?
I did poop out on our tradition of green dinner, and nobody cared or even noticed.

4 comments:

SUMMER said...

Very fun St. Patty's celebrations! I can't wait for your baby!!! Any day now!!!!

Katie Smith said...

Just thinking about you so I thought I'd check in. Looks like all well - totally agree on the St. Patrick's Day thing...it was totally just about wearing green when I was young! I can't wait to hear news of the newest addition...and, can't wait to see you again!

Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

Out here is is still just another day to wear green. You always do such fun things on ALL holidays for our kids!! I always think about it but hardly get around to it. My kids had CSAP all day on St. Patricks day....fun celebration huh?!?

Ray said...

I wonder if this is a common thing in elementary school now. I have a friend who teaches at Bonneville Elementary in Orem and the "Leprechauns" trashed her room as well. Sounds like a lot of fun.