Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not refried, black, garbanzo, pinto or even jelly...

Anytime we used to visit Utah (before we moved here), we always had to make a trip to the Bean Museum. It is a free museum on BYU campus and is full of stuffed (taxidermied) animals. The kids love it. We usually get to see a live show of some sort too (although it's not my favorite thing to be in the same room even as a live snake).
Last weekend it rained out the boys' camping trip. So, we ended up going to the Bean Museum, then watching a movie and camping in the living room. Wait a second, I need to back up a minute. Rewind several (yes, several) years back to when my sister and I were in high school. Since I am the oldest, there were still young kids who wanted to go to the Bean Museum for family night once in a while. Of course, Kim and I were too cool for this, but we made it fun by playing a little game. Now, I have taught my kids this game and they love it....
One person closes their eyes while someone else leads them. They are led right in the face of an animal and then open their eyes.
It is fun to watch my boys play it now. I have to admit, this last time was the first time I was flipped out in years. I read a blog post that someone wrote about the Bean Museum once. She said she wondered what it would be like there at the resurrection. So, my mind kept wandering to that thought, which made the animals more real. And a little scary.
Someone always likes to play the trick where you lead the other to a person. It's scary when it's dad and he growls in your face when you open your eyes. But, this face gets a different reaction...

0 comments: