Saturday, October 30, 2010

More than you wanted to know about our Halloween

As I type this, I have three boys DEEP in sleep. It's been a fun week, and especially busy the last couple of days. Look for the pictures at the end of this book...

Tuesday night was our ward Halloween party. We have such a great ward. Have you ever seen a ward that has family dances? Our ward gets the music going and parents, teens, young kids all get out and dance the macarena, thriller, and whatever those new popular dances are that I don't know! Then they form a circle and get crazy (like grown men doing the worm!) It's a sight and I love it!

Koby was so excited for his costume for the church party. He borrowed a dress from me and a bow from Camryn and dressed up as a girl. Shortly after we got to the church I couldn't find him anywhere. Then I saw him walk in with his pirate costume on and tears in his eyes. His friends laughed at him and he was embarrassed, so he ran home and changed. It broke my heart how sad it made him. But, he got over it and had a great time in the spook alley and playing all the carnival games. Oh, and I won the chili cook-off with my sister's "Award Winning Cheesy Corn Chili"! It has won several ward chili cook-offs in the past. I can't take any credit for it though - it's all her.

Yesterday was, of course, school Halloween parties. I went to the school and got to see the boys perform Thriller! It was awesome - they have this great music teacher who taught them the dance. After school we watched the real video on YouTube and the boys were impressed with Michael Jackson's moves. That's when I found out that Brandon had NEVER seen the video! What? Where was he in the 80's? We used to watch it all the time when I was younger.

Last night Crazy JuJu hosted another Halloween party. This time it was a sleepover - she really is crazy! She took five kids to the cemetery after dark to tell scary stories! Then to a spooky house up the street. They watched "Witches" and got little sleep. They ate donuts and played games in the morning.

Throughout the week I guess the mobster/gangster/mafia costumes stood out to the boys. They wanted to trick or treat in a costume like that. I told them that they didn't have the right stuff for it, and they knew we couldn't buy anything extra. About ten minutes later they came down the stairs looking all gangster-like. They put together these outfits themselves. Then they said "Let's go make gangster plans in our fort." That prompted a little talk on gangsters and their evil ways. So, tonight they were gangsters. Spencer kept forgetting and asking me what he was again.

We had Halloween dinner at my mom's - soup, mummy hot dogs, witch finger bread sticks, apple mouths with teeth, and mummy bagel pizzas. We did trick or treating in the rain, stopping in one garage for hot dogs and another for hot chocolate and scones. Yummm. All were cold and wet. We went back to Crazy JuJu's and sat by the fire and threw the kids' clothes in the dryer. Once all were warm and the rain stopped some of us headed up the hill to the scary houses. It was a riot - Clay and I got caught off-guard by the blast of air. It knocked Clay over and tripped me up. Then there was the creepy werewolf that tried to convince my 3 year old niece that he was a nice doggy. She screamed and screamed,-she wasn't buying it! Back to JuJu's for hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls, then finally home. Phew! In my nephew Austin's words, "This was the best Halloween ever!" Hope your's was great too! Can't wait to see and read about all of your festivities.
My pirate family (the original costumes of the year)...
The ward party (the five minutes that Koby was a girl, plus Spencer as a ghost and Brandon as himself like 7 years ago - not sure he can do much black belt stuff anymore!)...
Koby and Spencer before school (back to pirates)...
Crazy JuJu...
Gangsters and the consistant pirate...

1 comments:

Ray said...

Cami, can I just say that I am always impressed with your family. Especially your mom. She continually amazes me. And your boys, I am so impressed with their creativity in coming up with their own gangster costumes. One question, though. Can I get that recipe for cheesy corn chili?