Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Weekend to Forget

We started out with great intentions and excitement...I was meeting my sister Kim in Salt Lake for a few days to stay in a hotel, do some shopping, beading, just have fun. I brought Clay with me too. And my sister in law, Kelsey had a good friend from Albania getting married in Logan. So, it was us and my in laws, Gary and Jennis driving through Wyoming on Thursday. We got about 30 miles from Evanston (less than 2 hours from our destination) and about 1/4 mile from the big gate that closes the road...there we sat, and sat, and sat. It was 4:30pm when they closed the road, 12:30am when they let us off the freeway to go into town to the Baptist church for shelter. There were literally hundreds of cars for miles and miles and 7 people found the baptist church that night. We all slept (well, tried to sleep) in our cars that night. After being in the car for 25 hours straight, we finally got good directions to the baptist church and found shelter there. We walked in with a baby, so they were especially nice to us and gave us our own room (the nursery). We spent 4 or 5 hours there, where the LDS church brought in TONS of food for everyone. Finally the roads were open towards Salt Lake, so we headed on. By then, mine and Kim's plans were ruined, so I went to mom's. I spent a few hours Friday night, and all day Saturday, then left early Sunday morning. It was fun while I was there, but I never would have gotten in that car if I knew what was ahead of me.


Driving Conditions...(You can't see the wind really)
Stopped...(Jennis feels trapped)How many people can say they have made a snow angel ON I-80?
Well, Kelsey and Jennis can!
When ya gotta go...(and we did probably 3 or 4 times)
Jennis trying to get comfortable with my feet as a pillow...
Clay has no idea...
Clay and I trying to get some sleep...
The nursery at the shelter (Clay is asleep in that top bunk)...

7 comments:

Kelly Fam said...

oh man! I'm so sorry you got stuck in that awful storm. I-80 can get so nasty. I'm glad you made it home.. it sounds like your boys had a good time making a mess with you being gone. I laughed out loud when I read Brandon's post of when you were gone.

Brigette said...

oh my goodness, Cami! Glad you're ok! Yikes!!

Lauren said...

Cami. Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. That is horrible! That I-80 is SO AWFUL. I hate it. Sorry that your plans were ruined, but at least you got to see your Mom...See ya in a couple of weeks! :)

Devry said...

That is horrible. I can't believe you were in a car for that long!

Kim said...

At least we got to see each other! We'll plan something real when the babies are weened and we can really be free!

Logan and Ashley said...

Oh no!! I am so sorry that is one of my biggest fears when traveling through Wyoming!! We always manage to hit bad weather, but nothing that bad!! I don't think that you want me to paint your house because I never finish the job. It takes me like a month to do one room. NO, I haven't gotten revenge on Logan, I haven't had an good ideas. Do you have any???

Sarah said...

Sounds like a fun trip!! Hey I meant to talk to you about our homeschool preschool. We probably won't do it again next year. Three of the five will be going into Kindergarten. But give me a call, there has been interset in Macey's age group. My cell is still the same.