Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Twister - as my kids call it

I am sure everyone has heard by now about our tornado last Thursday, May 22, 2008. It was a very windy day and I wouldn't have thought too much about it, but I got a phone call from Chenel. She said that her mom had called her to make sure we knew there was a tornado warning in our area. Okay, that is strange, but really, we don't get those here! I turned the news on and got back to cleaning my house (which looked like a you know what hit it!) My poor boys watched the news on and off for probably 3 hours. They were very concerned. They listened to everything the newscasters had to say and knew what to do. They had to ask me where Greeley was every time it showed a radar map. Poor guys were pretty scared. But, we stayed busy and tried to keep their mind off of it. Spencer asked me if I could carry him and Clay downstairs if the tornado hit because he couldn't run fast enough. We never felt threatened enough here that we had to go in the basement. Later I realized that it was just a few miles from us (our Bishop's house was hit with no structural damage). Although, just across the street from them two farm houses were completely destroyed. I haven't been to Windsor yet to check out the damage there (Brandon says I have to go, it is worth the 20 minute drive), but have seen the farm houses, trees, and huge farm sprinklers that were gutted, destroyed and mangled. I am amazed that wind can cause that kind of damage. On Friday and Saturday Brandon had the assignment to round up some Elders from our ward to help clean up Windsor all day long Sunday. I was able to help with food for the volunteers. You can find more of his side of the story, plus his link to all the pictures and videos here. My friend Ashley also has a few pictures here. Here are just a few pictures that I have...

One of the ways we tried to get our mind off the twister...
I am sure Brandon made a huge difference with his broom! Notice the sign (that is cut off) on the house next to him - someone's joke - putting their house up for sale as is...


3 comments:

Kim said...

We're not in Kansas anymore... WAIT! You never were. I can't believe that happened there.

Janice said...

I was thinking about you that day when I heard, but didn't know how close it was to you. Glad your fam and home are ok! Love the picture of Brandon with his broom! :)

Logan and Ashley said...

So crazy. I love that the boys made a fort. Aren't boys so great!?!?!