Sunday, May 24, 2009

Boys and their toys

Rollie Pollies seemed to be the theme around here earlier in the week. I hate spiders with every part of me, but rollie pollies haven't bothered me. So, I was only slightly grossed out by my boys when they had their hands covered in them as they hunted them down. We made "houses" for them, and searched for hours to fill those houses. We found all their hiding places and learned it was easier to find them after the sprinklers had gone off. They probably each ended up with 30 or so.
The theme soon moved onto snakes. I like snakes about as much as I like spiders. (It's kind of a long story, but stick with me). There are a lot of orchards around here, and snakes make their way into most people's yards. Apparently we are in that season now. My mom's yard seems to really attract snakes. She flipped out when she spotted one and immediately started offering reward money for anyone who could kill it. Koby was on a mission. He tried for a while one day and was never quite brave enough (yet). Uncle Tim (my brother) ended up killing it later that day. But, wait, the snake Tim killed was smaller than the one Koby was hunting. You know what that means - yep, mom has snakes in her yard now, not a snake. The next day, Koby spotted a snake as he walked out the front door. His bravery kicked in and he stomped on that sucker. Then he grabbed a big heavy stick and started wacking it. He tried to hold it down while my dad grabbed a shovel to finish it off, but the snake got away. Meanwhile, Grandma had already paid him the $5 promised. A few hours later Papa spotted a snake with a missing tail and finally killed it. He chopped it in half with a shovel and threw it away.
The next day the boys were playing at a friend's house by my mom's. When I went to pick them up, they were roaming the neighborhood and grossing out all the neighbor kids with something. Koby walked towards me and reached into his pocket. He pulled proudly pulled out the snake head that he had helped kill. Yes, bare hands, pockets, and proud as can be. Spencer had the rest of the body that he was playing with and eventually crammed it into some crack that we couldn't retrieve it from. I made Koby put the snake in a zip-loc bag and throw it away. That darn snake has been thrown away and retrieved from the trash can 3 times now. Every time I turned around, it was back to haunt me. Koby just had to fish it out and show it off to cousins, uncles, etc. Yesterday, grandma threw it in a neighbors trash can (unkown to the boys), so I think we are finally done with that thing.
Can't wait to see what other surprises are in store for me with these boys!
PS - My dad later killed a third snake in their yard - and had the guts squirt in his face! Are you officially grossed out now?

8 comments:

Kelsey said...

I loved rollie pollies when I was younger but along with you hated and still hate snakes. Funny post though. Gotta love boys! Hope you guys are doing well.

Tina said...

My kids collected rollie pollies and earth worms earlier this week, too. They put them in a little bug house and check on them every day.

Where does your mom live??

Crystel said...

I. Would. DIE! if my kid was holding a real snake period. But a dead snake head!? You are a brave mother Cami! Kudos to you!!

MallyMal said...

There is only one thing worse than seeing a snake and that is having it's guts squirted in your face!!! Wow-brave boys. At least you know they aren't sissies right!?

Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

I HATE snakes like you Hate spiders. I am squirming just reading your post!! Pockets, bare hands, dead snake head=I would flip out! Thank you Thank you for sharing your boys stories so I can be somewhat prepared for what lies ahead. Smart Grandma to throw it in the neighbors garbage. Well I'm off to bed and hopefully will not be dreaming of snake heads now.

Valerie said...

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be complaining about my squirrel problem. . . I would take them any day over snakes, but I guess they are not as fun to kill, and you definitely cannot fit them into your pocket! It must feel good to have all those boys around to protect you!

Kelly Fam said...

Yes!!! I am officially grossed out now. Nice touch to the end of that story. I just shivered. Great. Now I'll have the heebie jeebies for awhile.

Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

Cami...this is Jason...despite what our name says...hahaha. Based upon your comment on Summer's "frog" post, I decided to take your suggestion! I am now sporting the sweetest frog on my left shoulder. Oh, and I told my Bishop, Stake President, and have sent a letter to the First Presidency that I went and got it on a suggestion from you! Thanks again, my friend!!!