Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lowering the Bar

I could go on and on and on about the disgust I have with the interviews on Oprah, and other talk and morning shows with some wives and mothers. I have heard women say that their identity has been taken away, that they don't know who they are anymore. Why would I want to be the person I was before I got married and had children? I would like to think that I am a better person now, even though I don't get time to do some of the things I used to do, it is a good trade off.
Last week while running on the treadmill at the gym, I saw an interview with a woman on the Today Show. She wrote an essay in 2005 about being more in love with her husband than her children. She claimed to love them, but was not in love with them. She says she can imagine life after the death of one of her children, but not her husband. Anyway, it was very controversial and there was a lot of publicity about it. Now, she has a book written to create more controversy (her words). It is called Bad Mother. She describes a "June Cleaver" type mother and claims that she has NEVER existed. Of course, no perfect person, including a mother, has existed on this earth (with one obvious exception). But, I know plenty of worthy, able, supermoms that are amazing examples to me. This woman is giving mothers the right to lower the bar. "It is impossible to do it all and be perfect, so let's just not even try" is the message that I heard. I am sure she would argue that I misinterpreted it, but I definitely felt as though the bar was being lowered.
Like I said, I could go on and on, but I won't. I love being a mom and love the challenge it brings to better myself. A shout out to all the supermoms I know and love - and those who have it in them to be one day! Let's keep the bar raised, and our heads as well as we fight the battles ahead. Happy Mother's Day!

6 comments:

Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

AMEN sister! I can not stand when moms talk like that. What an honer it is to be a mother and be trusted to raise these precious children. Thanks Cami for being a wonderful example when it comes to motherhood! you truley make me want to become a better mom. P.S. What an awesome picture of you and your mom...priceless!

Lydia Moon said...

Cami, I have to agree with you. Motherhood is the best job in the world! We should definitely give it everything we can. Our children deserve the best, just as we did, and every other generation in the history of the world. It's really too bad that all mother's don't understand the awesome responsibility they take on when they bring one of God's children in their home. Yes, it can be overwhelming and stressful. But there is nothing so rewarding!

Emily said...

WOW! I'm glad I didn't see these interviews! (We don't have TV) I Pick and choose my news from the internet . . . so I missed this.

Thanks for saying something! I love my husband and my children and I couldn't image loosing either of them!

jennis hansen said...

nice job Cami, you tell them....maybe you should go on a show or two and set it straight. They will never have that though. ...I am lucky to have daughters (that includes you and Marcie in case you didn't know) that are great mom's....keep up the good work! : )

Cyndi said...

That woman has obviously never met you!

What a great post. I feel like everywhere I look there is truth and nobility being twisted...except in the church.

Thank goodness for the church. The Ensign has WAY better stuff then any People magazine.

Katie Smith said...

What a great post. I could not agree with you more! Amen to all of it.

Missed you at the gym last week. Where have you been? Slackin'?... :)