Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pet Peeve

I have many pet peeves (unfortunately), but I'm sure most of you do. I will only share one of them with you today. It has to do with this spoiled generation. In fact, there was a hilarious clip about this on Conan that's been floating around for a while - if you didn't see it, or want to see it again, go here.
Anyway, I can't stand that people cannot just be in the moment they are in. They can't sit and enjoy. They HAVE to be texting, playing games, listening to music, tweeting, even surfing the web to facebook, watch videos, check the score of the game, and who knows what else? I have had to ask Brandon before if he was on a date with me or his ipod. (He isn't normally bad, there must have been a game on) Yes, these things are amazing and very convenient. I don't mind them all the time. Hey, if you are in the waiting room at the dentist's office, go right ahead. I get it. But, when you are with friends or family enjoying each other, having face to face conversations, put your phone away! If you are wasting your time when you have better things to do, put your phone away! I don't think it is torture for my children to sit in a car and look out the window for 20 minutes. We don't need the tv on or the phones out. We can play games and point out interesting things we see.
I have realized the last week or so that I need to start training my children better. We recently had a drive that lasted under 30 minutes and all three of my children (yes, even my 2 year old) insisted that they needed to play games on the phones. This caused problems since we only have two phones for them (mine having only one lame game, and by the way, Brandon's is only cool because it was given to him to use from his work). When we got home, Clay was given one of the phones and this is how I found him...
The kid doesn't even know what he's doing! With my oldest child not quite seven, I am already having to deal with these issues in a way! Is there any hope in teaching my children the opposite of what the world is doing? Oooh, that thought is scarier in areas other than electronics.

9 comments:

Janet said...

You've got a point, but I sure do love my iphone! I try not to play with it when I'm face - to - face.

Ali said...

Amen cousin! I never got to watch a movie during family road trips. I got a coloring book instead!

Kim said...

I'm with you girl! Maybe we can come up with a way to keep our kids from growing up! That would solve it, right?

bmhansen said...

Oddly enough, I read this post during our anniversary date on my iPhone.

Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

Oh the advantages and disadvantages our children have to face of growing up now. I'm with you on the whole phone thing. My husband is horrible at it!! I have been trying my hardest to get him better. He finally only checks his texts to see if it's children on our dates. Finally he does not repond to them if it's not our kids. I would hate that the whole drive to dinner he would spend talking on the phone to his family....arrrrrgh. Those days are hopefully behind us, the last few times he has been better. Anyway I could go on and on....

Sarah said...

That is one of my pet peeves as well. I get so irritated when I see someone wearing their bluetooth ear piece at dinner with their family. It drives Tim crazy. I agree that this generation is way too spoiled. Loved the post! Thanks!

Crystel said...

I'm glad you posted your thoughts here. You're totally right.

I have a few things I need to improve on!

Kelly Fam said...

amen! everything is so on demand.
But please don't take away my DVR. I'm in love.
Oh, and my cell, and the internet. Oops, I'm already in trouble.

Valerie said...

It is definitely a struggle as the kids get older. Luckily our kids don't watch very much TV, but they dont even need to with the computer, phones, etc. I think we just need to keep them busy with other things, and keep reminding them about time limits. They LOVE that by the way. I hate being the bad guy, but I worry so much about addictions. Justin thinks his hair will start to smoke if he plays with my phone for more than a couple of minutes. I guess it is because I am always telling the kids that their brains will fry, if they do that kind of stuff too long.