Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sleeping Habits (or lack of)

Ever since Clay learned to climb out of his crib months ago, his nights have not been the same (nor ours). I thought I was smart by doing what I did with the other boys - if I was to teach him to stay in one place for the night, I may as well do the transition out of a crib at the same time. For a little while he just slept on the ground (because that is where Spencer spends a lot of his nights for some reason, and he has to be just like him). Then, my mom found a great deal on a toddler bed so we put him there. Except, he would still end up on the ground half the nights, and eventually never used it. Him and Spencer would have "sleepovers" on the grounds of either of their rooms. Koby (being like me), was very annoyed at how noisy the pair was and would complain that they kept him awake.
So, I thought I had the answer to everyone's problems. I brought our full bed upstairs (a beautiful bed that my grandma and grandpa bought for themselves when they were first married - never mind a king, they snuggled!) I put it in Clay's room and moved Spencer in with him. Thus, solving all problems - Koby gets his own quiet room, Spencer gets a new and exciting place to sleep, Clay gets a buddy in bed, everyone wins. Not good enough for Clay, apparently. He now drags his pillow and blanket to the hallway right next to our bedroom door and lays there. (Thank goodness for the hardwood floors in our room - I am sure they keep him from sleeping right next to our bed.) He talks and laughs to himself, kicks the door, rolls all around, and who knows what else for an hour sometimes until he finally lets himself fall asleep. I should be glad that he doesn't normally bother us, but why does he mess around for so long before falling asleep? I hate that he falls asleep so late. We always put him back in bed once he is asleep, but most nights he ends up back on the ground. I am sure he will eventually grow out of this - I mean, I don't know any high schoolers with this sort of problem! But, please tell me I'm not the only one whose child has less-than-perfect sleep habits!?

4 comments:

Ali said...

I am right there with you! It often takes Tate an hour or longer to fall asleep. He doesn't come out of his room, but we can hear him moving around and talking (and playing with the vent, curtains, etc in his room). I have no idea why it takes him so long to fall asleep at night.

Kim said...

I think it's just you...my children fall asleep as soon as I kiss them good night and sleep perfectly in their beds until 9am. There must be a problem with your mothering...hmmm.

Julie said...

Most of our kids sleep really well. You put them in and they stay and are out cold. (Don't ask me how I taught them to do this... I think they came programmed that way.)
Caleb, however, is a night owl like me. It takes him FOREVER to fall asleep. We have confined him to the bed, though. He knows he's in trouble if he comes out, or if we hear him playing in his room. Most nights we do hear him in there, though, singing to himself as he tries to drift off...

Lydia Moon said...

My twins are still getting up in the middle of the night at least a couple of times a week. They always try to come crawl in bed with us. I've created a bad habit of falling asleep with them in the bed, so they end up staying. I have to break that habit! Now that I'm staying home instead of working, I've got some things to change!