Thursday, August 13, 2009

Who delivers your mail?

Do you know your mail carrier? I never have.
Before we moved here, we had community mailboxes that were down the street, so I never saw anyone deliver my mail.
A few days after moving into this house there was a knock on my door. It was our post lady, Sue, wondering our names and what happened to the people that lived here before (that's a loooong story). We had still been getting mail for the old owners (which is annoying), but she put a stop to that immediately.
Then, a few weeks later she put it together that I was related to the people around the corner (my parents). Once in a while someone will mail me something to my mom's house since they don't have my address. I always get a kick when I get an envelope with my address written next to my mom's and a smiley face from Sue.
She has saved me a few times when I have not put enough stamps on things, but doesn't ask for money. Just lets me know for future reference what the rules are with sizes, etc.
I was very sad when she had surgery and we had a less knowledgeable and caring substitute mail carrier. I started getting the old owner's mail again. And things weren't organized neatly like Sue did. It goes ads, magazines, bills, then fun letters on top! What a fun way to get the mail everyday!
Anyway, just wondering how well you know your mail carrier. Do you put Christmas goodies in the mailbox for them too? Then get a thank you note with a smiley face on one of your pieces of mail? I'm sorry if you don't. It is fun!

7 comments:

Janet said...

That's so fun! Thanks for sharing such a happy story.

Kim said...

Jealous!

Julie said...

That's fun! I have never met my mail carrier either, although when I was little, he used to wave to us every day if we were in the yard playing...

The Henricksen Journal said...

well that is sweet! hope she is back again soon.

AJ said...

I always leave Christmas goodies for the mail carrier and trash takers. It's a tradition I got from my mom. It's always sour cream sugar cookies decorated by the kids and my mom's famous homemade fudge. And yes, I've gotten thank yous. I miss having the individual boxes because that really is how you meet your carrier! I'm happy that you have such an awesome mail carrier!

Janice said...

This house is the first one we have had the individual boxes in our yard and I love it too! I havent gotten to know the mail man yet... I'm a little paranoid about strangers but its a great idea to leave them a little treat for christmas!

Lydia Moon said...

When I was young my mom knew the mail carrier, and all of us kids would say hello if we saw her. Now, we have always had community boxes, so I rarely see ours. I know who he is because he has brought packages to the door a few times. I never thought to leave him a Christmas treat. I may just steal your tradition!