Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lead, Kindly Light

A few weeks ago our ward choir sang Lead, Kindly Light. I was emotional from the memories that came with it. The last time I served in the Young Women's organization was a few years ago. We had a new bishop who was determined to have all of the youth of the ward learn the lyrics to at least one hymn. To make it easier for them, we would sing the same song every week at our activities, every month at our discussions, and most other times we all met together. The song he chose was Lead, Kindly Light. I grew to really like the song, although a lot of people did get sick of singing it. Eventually, I was released and then moved.

I have been thinking a lot about the song and it's meaning. I remembered that once Bishop told us a little background from the song. This is what I've gathered from the internet - The man who wrote it was wanting desperately to get home. He was sick and couldn't travel for weeks. Then, was able to get partway, but stuck again for weeks. Then, finally boarded a ship to get home. But, was stuck for a week because of a lack of wind. It was on that ship that he wrote the song.

I have always been impatient. I always want to know where my life is headed and when. But, I am reminded that it is not my will to be done, and that's okay. In fact, that's better. I find comfort in this song. Our little neighborhood and ward has needed a lot of comfort this summer. Maybe that's another reason this has been on my mind lately. Here are the comforting and inspiring words:

Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom, lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home; lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now lead Thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on.
O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I
Have loved long since, and lost awhile!

6 comments:

AJ said...

That is a great song. Thanks for sharing.

Courtney said...

Thanks for sharing that Cami! It was a nice reminder...

Brigette said...

Cami - you're so neat! This has always been a favorite and now it has even more meaning - thanks for sharing!

Lydia Moon said...

This is such a beautiful song, and a great reminder for me. Thanks for posting it!

Janice said...

I LOVE THIS SONG TOO. what a great idea your bishop had. See you in a few days :)

Jonn & Judy Claybaugh said...

Hi lover:

This has been one of my favorite hymns since before you were born. The music is beautiful and the words are profound and true. Thanks for sharing. I love you! Dad