Thursday, February 11, 2010

My calling in life

I rarely watch tv during the day at all, but the other day I happened to see half of Oprah. It was a look into the life of a nun. I haven't really thought much about nuns until this show. And now I have developed some opinions...I think they have totally misunderstood the purpose of life. They say that it is a "calling" from God. A calling where you "take three strict vows: chastity, poverty and an obedience to God and their church." Some of the nuns pray up to 12 hours a day, they study, and they are silent a lot of the time. Their rooms are called "cells". Hmmmm. Yes, these are all good things. I am sure they do service of some sort, although there was nothing in this program about that. When asked about missing out on having children, one of the founders of the convent said, "I think every woman is called to be a mother, you know, physically. But God called me to this, and this is what I want to be - a spiritual mother." She totally missed the point.
I understand that there are several righteous women who never have an opportunity to marry or have children in this life, but the righteous desire should still be there. And, if you do have that opportunity, you need to take advantage of it. Have a family and teach them a different lifestyle than the world around you. Raise children that can withstand the evils of the world. And, as a mother, try to better the world and raise children to do the same. You can't better the world, be an example, or make an impact on those around you if you have run away from those around you. How is secluding yourself from the world and barely even communicating with those you live with helpful? A lot of these girls wanted to get away from the world around them. We all want to do that sometimes, but we don't go hide away and ignore it. I just don't think that's the answer - for anyone.
Maybe I have misunderstood their lifestyle. But, I'm just saying that I think this is a matter of Good, Better, Best.

5 comments:

Kim said...

You're AMAZING!

Jason and Summer, but really just Summer said...

Wouldn't we all love to run away from time to time?!? But at the end of the day this is where I want to be, among the chaos and craziness. I love knowing that I am making a difference in this world by hopeful raising strong children. I'm with you on this one!

Brigette said...

It's hard to understand our purpose if we don't know the plan! It's obvious they're in search of their purpose - but it seems they got stuck here. You're right we're not here to hide ourselves away - we're here to go through it all - chaos or calm - and I'm SO grateful to know Heavenly Father didn't just send us here and then leave us - we're so fortunate to know we can still speak to him, receive inspiration, and ask for help! Wow -- I think I feel strongly about this 'one' too! Nice, thought provoking POST Cami!

Sarah said...

AMEN Cami!!

Cyndi said...

Your last line summed it up the best. I agree. (I also caught bits and pieces of that show)