Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A new favorite downfall

So, I have been craving those soft homemade oreo cookies for a while. I thought our Saturday night Valentine's celebration would be the perfect time to cure that craving. My sister, Kim actually made them and we are all hooked.
The cookies are just a dark chocolate cake mix with 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil. 350 for 7-8 minutes. Don't overbake - they must be soft!
I am not a cream cheese fan in desserts, so we compromised and did just enough cream cheese in the frosting to make it extra creamy, but not really have the flavor. It was heaven! Then, Kim decided to make a batch with a white cake mix. Oh no, this opened up all kinds of possibilities. So, the next day we made coconut cookies plus chocolate cookies again and had vanilla and chocolate frosting, so we had more varieties. This will never end. We have plans to do chocolate cookies with peanut butter frosting, or mint. It won't be long before we are adding mini m&m's or chocolate chips to the cookies. If you're into fruit desserts, you could go crazy with all the different cake mix and frosting combinations. We definitely have a new favorite in our family. What have we started? This is dangerous! But, mmmm, oh so good! Try it out and tell me you're favorite combo...

2 comments:

laura said...

I love those cookies. I make mine with buttercream frosting and it's so yummy. But I never thought of all those possibilities. Thanks for the ideas! (And the pounds I gain because of them! :))

Janice said...

Yum! Those sound so good! I will have to try the recipe. Cami~ I cannot believe that you are having a baby so soon.... you look amazing!